Thursday, January 14, 2010

FORWARD WE GO!!!

Yeah I rode yesterday....sorry guys. I am only halfway through the month and I am already screwing up my resolution...Gah. That's bad. I am also sucking at dieting for a new year resolution. New Year resolutions are just always really hard to obtain I guess. (Sigh)

OH well...at least I am writing about it still, even if it is a day late.



Katie had a kiddo show up late to a lesson, so we had to squeeze him in but we did manage to get it done! Katie rode him Tuesday and that is the photo to the left. I was so excited when I saw his new photos. He really looks like a dressage horse to me! But I also wanted to get on his back again before all of the rain started in. I felt like all of this work would be for naught if we have to take 4 days off of riding. So I tacked him up as quick as I could, and yes...the tail was GOING. He has really learned to talk with the tail. It almost has taken on a life of its own. I am going to have to come up with a name for it...hummm.....


But I am certain that if he could talk that he would have been using 9 kinds of profanities with me. His back was a little sore from all of this work, but my goodness he looks so good because of all of it. Sadly for Styx, we had to do our riding at feeding time, so I am positive that the tail swishing had something to do with him working instead of eating. Yeah, I can kinda relate to that.


It was dusk when we started our work so this easily gave him a reason to be spooky to almost anything at all that moved (or not moved for that matter). Well, I use the term "spooky" loosely. Fortunately Styx has yet to spook big while I am on his back (and yes, I am knocking on wood as I type). But in Styx vocabulary, spooky means FORWARD...so I guess we need more spook in him? Weirdo.


However, just because he was forward does not mean he was pretty and round. In fact, I felt like he was doing everything except for listening to me, but at least he was forward and therefore his steering was better! Usually I feel as if I am riding a drunk horse. I was wondering if I needed to pick up drinking just so our "straight" lines would add up! But that is not so, I just need more oomph outta him! This just means forward, forward, forward!!!!!! PLEASE imprint that in my head already.....FORWARD!!!!

So I had him forward, and buddy when he is forward his movement is so big! I remember when I bought him thinking WOW...this is the biggest trot I have ever ridden (and it was) but I wanted nothing more than to be able to ride that trot nicely. I knew how pretty it was and I had this mental image of us trotting around the arena with our blue ribbon and everyone gasping at how beautiful he was. Well, I had a good old fashion dose of reality and quickly came to the realization that it would take work, and lots of it, to ride his trot at all (much less nicely!). Well, I can honestly say that yesterday I rode that big trot of his. I am most definitely my biggest critic and if I can say that I rode that big trot, I know I did...and did it well. I still need some more work before we get to "nicely", and I am certain that Katie will let us know when we get there, but I am well on my way. That was exactly what I needed to boost my confidence in myself and my riding. Like I said earlier, I am my biggest and worst critic. I constantly tear myself down and ask myself to do things that I cannot possibly adequately do, and therefore end up tearing myself up even more for failing at unattainable goals. But for some odd reason this only applies to my riding. Successful horseback riding is the art of taking yourself outside of your comfort zone, reaching for goals that are attainable, and living in the glory and satisfaction of your success...

So right now, for the next few days, I am going to enjoy the fact that I rode my horse the very best I could yesterday. Even if he wasn't at his best, I gave it my all, and that is all you can do! Give your horse your absolute very best every time you mount up, and success and happiness are inevitable. Never take what your horse has given you for granted. So until the rain stops...FORWARD WE GO FORWARD FORWARD but halt at X. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment